US tab

Frequently Asked Questions

UCF's Interdisciplinary Studies program is an opportunity for students to pursue individually planned programs. Undergraduates may choose two academic concentrations, a minor, and complete Cornerstone and Capstone core courses. Graduate students combine two core courses, two nine hour credit academic concentrations, a relevant elective, and a master's level thesis under guidance of the thesis committee to further their knowledge base through interdisciplinary research. This program is dedicated to exploration, highly individualized education, and the motivation to learn for both personal and professional reasons.

The advisors in the IS department are always willing to help, but do not wait until add/drop week to try to meet with them! It is always better to plan ahead. It is recommended that you meet with an advisor at least once per semester.

Yes, you must schedule an appointment. You may call 407-823-0144, or visit the office at Classroom Building, Suite 302, or submit an online appointment request at If you submit an online request, please allow at least one full business day to receive a response. We also offer walk in advising for declared Interdisciplinary Studies majors during the first two weeks of the semester.

Prior to your advising appointment, you should look at your degree audit on MyUCF.

Prior to your advising appointment, you should look at your degree audit on MyUCF.

On the day of your advising appointment, you should arrive on time, call if you anticipate being late or missing the appointment, bring questions and specific topics to discuss, and take notes.

After your advising appointment, you should complete the online evaluation in the reception lobby. You should also follow up with any issues that need to be resolved with other departments, and inform your advisor of the results of your follow up.

Join the Interdisciplinary Studies Student Association. Find out about your Interdisciplinary Studies Student Association and check out how you can get involved! Contact us:

Globally visualize professional bandwidth via fully researched relationships. Compellingly aggregate prospective resources and equity invested core competencies. Collaboratively synthesize e-business imperatives.

To find your degree audit, go to MyUCF Self Service > Student Records > Academic History > View Degree Audit > Click OK in the pop up menu > Go to Results Tab > Click Refresh. For additional information about accessing and reading your degree audit, please visit

The intent to graduate and required surveys must be filled out by using myUCF Self Service > Student Center > Other Academic drop down menu > Intent to graduate - apply. The deadline to file your intent to graduate is always the last day of classes prior to your graduating term. Although not mandatory, we do suggest the prior to filing your intent, that you meet with an I.S. advisor as well as an advisor for your minor to go over your degree audit and make sure you have met all requirements for graduation.

The deadline to file an intent to graduate is the last day of the semester BEFORE you intend to graduate. For example, the intent to graduate for Spring 2012 was available from October 17 – December 3. You must file an intent to graduate 24 hours BEFORE registering for Capstone, so it is most beneficial for you to file your intent to graduate at least one day before your enrollment appointment. If, after reviewing your intent to graduate, it is determined that you are not meeting your graduation requirements, your intent to graduate will be denied and you will be dropped from Capstone.

Internships are academic courses that allow students to apply classroom theory in a practical work setting to gain personal, academic, and professional experience. They are always related to your major, they usually count for credit and they can be paid or unpaid. You should get an internship because the experience that you gain will give you an advantage when applying for jobs. 50% of interns as opposed to only 30% of students without major related internships get jobs related to their major after graduation. Students usually look for internships one semester toward the end of their academic program; however, freshman and sophomore students can also benefit from an internship.

To get started, you can visit UCF's Experiential Learning office or go to their website at If you coordinate an internship through this office, they will register you to receive credit hours for your work. Your I.S. advisor will have to sign an approval form. Internships will not count for credit in your concentration areas, but check with your minor department because some minor programs will allow internship credit to count.

Students may pursue grade forgiveness up to two times during their post-secondary career. You must send in your request before the deadline to add classes for the semester in which you have registered for the course that is being repeated. You may submit your form online through MyUCF. Go to your MyUCF account. Go to Student Self Service > Student Center > Apply for Grade Forgiveness. Type in the code number for the current semester. On the next page, a list of your current courses will appear. Click in the box for the class you wish to retake for Grade Forgiveness. Click submit if the information displayed is correct. You can check your Grade Forgiveness status on your MyUCF Student Self Service page.

The two main reasons why you may see a hold from the Office of Interdisciplinary Studies are if you are in the Interdisciplinary Studies Pending major or if you are on academic probation. You will receive an email at your UCF email account informing you that you have a hold placed on your record and explaining what you must do to have the hold lifted. Please respond to us as soon as possible after receiving this email so that you may proceed with course registration and schedule changes and any other processes you need to complete. The reason for these holds is to mandate advising appointments in order for students to fix problems in their course of study and be aware of issues that may be detrimental to their success at UCF.

In the 2008-2009 academic school year, Interdisciplinary Studies was the 3rd most popular major at the University of Central Florida. Since then, we have continued to grow and change and are really looking forward to helping all future students become more well-rounded in their practices, create a sense of community among majors, help them reach their future goals and connect them with employers. If you believe in our program and want to help our students, you can donate in three ways. You can call 1-407-882-2771, or mail to: Dr. Elliot Vittes Interdisciplinary Studies P.O. Box 161998 Classroom Building 1, Suite 302 Orlando, FL 32816-1998.

Cornerstone should ideally be taken in your first full semester as an Interdisciplinary Studies student. You must have declared your major as Interdisciplinary Studies with an IS advisor and your paperwork must be officially processed through the Registrar's Office (see Why is my paperwork taking so long? for an explanation of the process). You must also have completed ENC1102. If your major is not officially changed by the first day of the semester, you will not have access to add IDS3933 for that term.

Capstone is required for your major, and it must be taken in your graduating semester. In order to register for IDS4934, you must have completed IDS3933 with a C or higher and have filed an intent to graduate. You must file an intent to graduate 24 hours before you will be able to register for IDS4934! You will be dropped from Capstone if it is determined that you will not be eligible to graduate that term.

The entire process from filling out your major change paperwork to officially showing IS as your major on your degree audit can take up to 10 business days. Things that can lengthen the process include a delay with emails or faxes, signing up through a Regional Campus, or needing transfer credit evaluated and approved. See the following flow chart for the comprehensive process.

IS major change process

We ask you to visit our website at and review the "Overview of Interdisciplinary Studies" presentation (located at the bottom of the page). In addition, you can learn more about each major track by visiting the appropriate links: Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Studies Programs

If you are a transfer student you can also visit with the Office of Transfer and Transition Services. If you are a Freshman, you can visit with your First Year Advisor. If you are a Sophomore, you can visit with the Sophomore and Second Year Center. These offices may be able to give you immediate advice until you can get in to meet with a prospective advisor in Interdisciplinary Studies.

You will need to check with Student Financial Assistance in Millican Hall Room 120, or call (407) 823-5285 or visit or

You will need to check with Student Financial Assistance in Millican Hall Room 120, or call (407) 823-5285 or visit

You will need to check with Student Financial Assistance in Millican Hall Room 120, or call (407) 823-5285 or visit or